- Ground Up
- New Construction
- Land Development
Let’s talk about the biscuit room at Bojangles in Wylie Texas. The Bojangles brand is entering the Texas and Oklahoma market with eager Franchisee owners. While most of us know this brand for its Southern Chicken, it’s really all about that biscuit room. With over 37% of the Bojangles register sales taking place before 9:30 am, it’s no wonder the biscuit room stays busy until 2:00 pm everyday. In Wylie Texas you will find fresh, hot, tasty baked to perfection-southern biscuits at Bojangles’ newest Franchise location. Now let’s talk about the restaurant construction.
With over 6 Commercial Contractors bidding for the honor to build this first ever Franchise spot in Texas, it was no shock to our Van Brunt & Company construction team that we earned the bid. There is some history to why our construction company had leverage, at least as we see it. The city of Wylie Texas has a very detailed and strict inspection process. The team at Wylie city code compliance holds their city building expectations with the highest standards. Go Wylie! If you do not have 20 years experience in commercial construction, civil building, then building a ground up restaurant can come with major challenges, set backs, and unforeseen time delays. Which cannot happen with a 4 month build out commitment with our client. Our Van Brunt & Company construction team has successfully opened two Ground up Restaurants in collaboration with the City of Wylie, and we hold great respect for their articulated expectations.
Our project started off strong with Oncor meetings on site, a super small footprint for this new restaurant location, and materials precurded early.
This wooden new build structure had significant details and our team had a great line of communication with the Architects confirming every design detail along the way. Our team stayed true to our company values with daily reports to our customer, supported their material delivery dates, and worked closely with Bojangles operations to learn the brand alongside the Franchisee. Along the way, subcontractor commitments, Oncor, and delivery expectations were not met as per the original schedule. Our team sunk deep into our core value of problem solving and collaboration with all parties to keep critical path expectations on project schedule.
We learned a lot about the Bojangles construction design and loved working with their Largest Texas Bojangles Franchisee. The footprint for the property was small, the timeline was tight, and the Texas summer heat almost cooked us like the Bojangles chicken. However, we delivered a beautiful new construction restaurant project in Wylie, Texas that our entire team is proud of everytime we drive by. If you’re in the Rockwall, Wylie, Sachse, Lucas, Lavon, or Murphy Texas, make sure to drive over to 3008 E Farm to Market Rd in Wylie. It’s directly across from our adored coffee shop in Wylie, Dutch Bros. Enjoy those Biscuits Wylie!
Who built Bojangles Wylie Texas? Van Brunt & Company, Commercial General Contractors
Challenge / Problems
- Challenging Permitting Demands
- Low power lines around the site continued to be hit with delivery trucks which shut down the project to keep everyone safe until Oncor could come reroute the power lines
- Utility timelines (verbal commitments vs real time)
- Brand provided items and their delivery dates not aligning within the project timeline for the Franchisee
- The sign package was not approved by the city all at once, requiring the monument sign to be redesigned and installed after Certificate of Occupancy. We worked with the operations team on returning to connect electrical to the monument during training prior to opening.
- We kept and open line of communication with inspectors
- We learned even more about the City of Wylie’s process and detailed permit process making us more prepared for the next commercial construction project in this city
- We shifted critical path in lieu of delays getting permanent utilities
- Open communication with our client on expectations & delays
- We were able to honor our contract date of 4 months from ground up to turning over keys